So I completed my original birthday blog just as my friend Kelly arrived to take me to a rainy day birthday movie. (Hey, it couldn't actually be warm and sunny on my birthday. I was born in JANUARY after all!) There are at least two great things about seeing a movie here in South Africa. One, it is less than half the cost of a movie ticket in the USA. Two, the popcorn is also super cheap and yummy! And besides that, it is something to do. Much to my delight, Kelly surprised me with a birthday gift! A lovely brightly colored wire woven bowl from our favorite Bryanston Organic Market. It was even wrapped in a cool South Africa gift box! You can check out the card in one of the photos. It is a cat-mermaid. HAHA! (Until first grade, I thought I would grow up to be a mermaid. But my first grade teacher told me I should chose a different career path...I have no idea why! Anyway, Kelly thought that that didn't exclude a CAT-mermaid! haha!)
After our movie I went on home to await my Benjamin. With about three hours to kill until that moment would arrive, I decided to play myself a game of Bananagrams. Not much excitement in that, I know, but it occupied my brain for awhile! I also made a few phone calls home to my Mama and Papa :) (Since I use Skype, that is the best way to have phone contact with friends and family in the States without paying an arm and a leg!) I suppose I did have one laugh during this down time. When I was on the phone with my Mom, she asked what I was doing. Here is our conversation:
ME: "I am playing Bananagrams by myself. MOM: "Mammogram?" ME: "No, Mom. BANANAgrams? You know, that yellow banana shaped game I bought at the mall?" MOM: (In a confused voice...)"Oh." ME: "Mom, did you hear me?" MOM: "Um, no." ME: "BANANAgrams, Mom. We played it at our house the night before I left the States." MOM: "Ohhhh, I wondered why you would be playing Mammograms!" HAHA!! By the way, if you don't know what a mammogram is, it's part of a female physical, boys. NOT a game!
After my BANANAgram fun, Ben finally returned to whisk me away to my romantic birthday dinner at Nelson Mandela Square. I was very excited to be able to wear a skirt on my birthday this year without feeling cold! (Thanks PG for my skirt! It is super cute!) On the way there, Ben gave me my birthday gift: a "simple" white gold wedding band....since I can't wear my wedding ring here in SA! Very lovely and thoughtful of my Babe! We stuffed our tummies with some yummy delicacies (me=steak...Ben=Eland...some SA animal!)
****THIS JUST IN!!!!**** BEN HAS INSTRUCTED ME TO INFORM YOU ALL THAT HE HAS NOW EATEN THE FOLLOWING EXOTIC FOODS THROUGHOUT OUR STAY IN SOUTH AFRICA THUS FAR: ELAND, SPRINGBOK, KUDU, CROCODILE, OX TAIL, OSTRICH. ****THIS VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY BENANDA!!!!****
Bellies full but hearts still set on desert....we took our brownies for take away. Once home, Ben lit a candle for me and we dug in to our chocolatey morsels. Utter and complete disappointment, my friends. That is what I felt as I bit into my "brownie." It was the worst brownie I have ever tasted. Oh well, I guess I am 25 now and I don't need to eat chocolate late at night anymore, right? ;)
As I mentioned in my previous blog, my birthday this year had extended hours. We went to bed on the 5th in South Africa...and I woke up the next morning....STILL my birthday (in Kansas and California!) My dear Benjamin played along and wished me a Happy Birthday again before he went to work. And I went on another birthday run....with no improved results, unfortunately....
And so I conclude with: Happy Birthday to me! Here's to another year. May it bring on some new wonderful surprises, lots of joy and time with friends and family...hopefully back in America soon!
3 comments:
Happy late birthday, Amanda.
Ben is such a man. Eating eland? That's like something Bear Grylls would do. While in Africa, you all should film small installments of "Ben vs. Wild." I think it'd be a YouTube hit.
I LOVE that idea, Wade! I think I will certainly pass this on to Ben and we will have to get started on these episodes.
And thanks for the birthday wishes :)
I am totally on board with the ben vs wild on youtube...please send me the link if this happens. Glad to see molly arrived. And What is that thing on your write in the pic? Some kinda cool running gadget?
Post a Comment