Monday, October 21, 2013

Charlotte's THREE! October 4, 2013







Charlotte’s THREE!
October 4, 2013

Well my sweet Charlotte, you turned three years old last Friday (October 4!).  The days of you still feeling like my baby are becoming less in comparison to you seeming so grown up!  You are becoming very independent and opinionated.  You think light pink, purple and sparkles are the prettiest.  You enjoy ruffled twirly skirts and dancing.  You are extremely smart and clever and you know how to get exactly what you want.  You know you are cute and you can work it, girl.  You have your Daddy wrapped around your pinky and your brother thinks you are the coolest person to walk the planet.  As for you and me?  We are “best girls” right now. 

Sometimes you say things and I just have to stop and stare at you… because you are three but you sound like you are 23.  You have this way of saying things very matter-of-factly.  For example, “Oh, that’s just pee.  It’ll dry.”  (hahahaha, there’s that reminder that you are three!  You are potty trained like a champ but occasionally you get really engrossed in whatever it is you are doing and you leak.  Then I will find a pee spot on the couch or wherever and you, as I mentioned, state very matter-of-factly that it is “just pee” and “it’ll dry.”) 

You keep me in check.  Sometimes if I am starting to get stressed out or frustrated about something, you say, “Mommyyyyy, it’s OTAY.  Stop fweaking out.”  Hilarious.  You say “freaking out” because that’s the terminology I use when you start to lose your cool.  Which, my goodness, let’s just talk about that for a minute.  Your opinionated independent self has a tendency to get very noticeably upset about some things.  Like when you can’t get your shoes on just right.  Or your shirt gets stuck on your head.  Or you get the slightest bit wet  and you are not wearing your swimsuit.  Or I don’t let you have the iPad…or cookies…  Or I don’t let you go outside at all hours of the day to see “E-elyn,” (Evelyn) our 11 year old neighbor who is also pretty much your hero (sometimes I think Evelyn will trump me as your “best girl.”).

You continue to be a very picky eater.  Preferring  “Chef-D” and chicken nuggets to basically everything.  You also eat oatmeal packets and cereal.  But if it is a fruit or a vegetable, you refuse.  And your brother watches you closely.  He too has acquired your eating habits.  Some days it drives me crazy- the fact that I cannot get you guys to eat healthy food.  Other days I keep things in better perspective- knowing that there’s more to this life than eating your fruits and veggies.  But, Char?  We are going to have to work on this eating healthy stuff.  Hopefully this fourth year of life will bring about some better eating habits?  Maybe?

It’s been fun to see your budding artistry.  You are getting more detailed in your drawings, which is super fun to see!  You draw people with big circle heads and two legs.  Sometimes the people have an eye or two, sometimes they have hair…. Just kinda depends.  I mostly enjoy watching you draw.  The way you hold your writing utensil so carefully, the furrow of your brow as you lean in close to the paper, the way your mouth moves ever so slightly as you think out loud what it is you are drawing...

You’re just growing up, my sweet girl.  Getting taller and learning more every day.  I absolutely love being your Mommy.  I know you won’t always call me your best girl…. But, I’m pretty certain you will always be mine.  You’re my Charly girl.  My first-born-daughter. 



I pray every day that you will know Jesus loves you so very much.  And when you get frustrated about something you would remember Jesus is right there with you.  When you make mistakes and enter into sin, Jesus is right there, showing you grace and mercy.  When you are scared, hurting, afraid… Jesus is praying for you, loving you.  Always with you.  I know that you will face temptations to look and be a certain way… and face feelings of inadequacy, loneliness.  But please know that you are exactly who God created you to be.  You are beautiful because HE made you.  Because He loves you.  You don’t have to “be” anything but His.  Trust Him.  HOPE in Him.  Place all your dreams into His loving hands.  He’s got you, sweetheart.  And He will NEVER let you go.  I love you, Charlotte.  Love, Mommy.

No comments: