ONE YEAR
August 22, 2013
Dear Cale,
It’s hardly enough to say…. My life has been transformed
throughout this past year. And still is
being transformed. I’ve said it before,
Cale, but I will say it again. And again…
and again. Jesus loves me beautifully through you.
During this year I have been challenged more than ever
before. (Funny, as I proof-read this, I
hear a voice inside my head shouting, “this ain’t nothing! Just wait!!”)
I have had to surrender a lot of my “control” and “comfort” idols. My heart has been an emotional roller coaster
at times… And it has been tough! But also oh so very good. Because I have learned more about Jesus. How He sees me. His perfect plan for me. God’s taught me a lot about priorities
through you, little man- and your big sis for that matter!
I am SO thankful for you.
Here are some of the things I have learned this year…
especially lately!
1-
I now know why toilet lid locks were invented…
and necessary.
2-
I understand why boy babies are often seen in
only a diaper… or nothing at all.
3-
I don’t fret over getting my kitchen floor clean…
perhaps ever again??
4-
I have discovered the art of “jimmy-rigging.” For example: I had to wrap a sheet around
your crib rail to keep you from gnawing the paint off.
5-
I know why moms (especially moms of boys) tend
to wear sweats and t-shirts most of the time…
6-
I hardly notice when cheerios crunch under my
feet.
7-
I no longer store anything valuable below 2
feet. Wait, make that 3 feet. Scratch that, 4 feet…. Ummm maybe 5
feet?
8-
I may have to start wearing running shoes on a
daily basis. And I am kind of a shoe
girl… so this is a big change for mama!
9-
I see God’s love for me reflected back in your
sweet eyes and smile.
10-
I get to experience the joys of wrestling!
11-
I cannot recall what it’s like to get a full
night’s sleep. Let alone more than three
hour of consecutive sleep at a time…
12-
I have acquired an interest in sports. You really like balls of all kinds. But I have taken a particular interest in
baseball because I think it would be fun to really understand a sport and share
that with you as you get older. If I
gotta change to soccer, I would do that for you, bud ;)
13-
I use phrases like “don’t eat that bag of cotton
balls!” “NO! Stop DIGGING in the toilet!”
14-
I often don’t make my bed… something I swore I
would ALWAYS do!
15-
I am more aware of what things truly are
priorities.
16-
I know to savor every chance I get to cuddle- and
I am really glad I did so when you were a newborn!
17-
I can change a diaper in any position one could
think up. What? You want to do a head stand and splits while
I change your tushy? Okay. No biggie.
I got you covered!
18-
While I enjoy recording the moments of our life
via photographs, blog, journal, etc… I’ve learned it is more important to just
LIVE in these moments with you guys.
That’s probably my biggest lesson from this year… and I could ramble
about that…
So I am sure I could make that list quite a bit longer. But as I type this I know your napping
minutes are limited. And Charlotte’s
avoiding hers altogether today. Yet another
lesson. Nap time and how I utilize that
time… it’s quite valuable. And not to be
wasted.
Anyway, we had your one year check-up and your growth has
slowed a bit. You are now in the 50-60
percentile in every category. I am sure
it has a lot to do with how ACTIVE you are!
And the fact that you still prefer breast milk to every other kind of nutrition. We are working on weaning, but MAN. Someday you will be embarrassed by this. You are a BOOB man. Straight up.
If it were not 100 plus degrees right now, I would wear sweatshirts all
of the time because you are quite grabby.
TMI? Well, how do you think I
feel, bud? HAHA! And to top it all off, you likely have a milk
allergy. You break out in hives from
milk, cheese and yogurt. Next week we
will go have a blood test done to see what exactly we are dealing with
here. I’m pretty sure I will make Daddy
join us for that…
You started walking this month, your first seven steps were
at Grandma Jill and Papa Craig’s house.
I caught the last three of those seven.
And since that day you become more and more mobile every day. You also have started climbing. And you have this “evil” laugh that you do
when you are up to no good! It’s so
naughty it’s adorable! You do this
little lean forward and clasp your hands together as you laugh, too. I mean, seriously, bud. SOOOO cute.
But soooo naughty! I am in for
it. I just know it.
Aw Cale. Every day
you grow up just a little more and I see my baby boy fading fast. Before I know it, you will be bringing your
laundry home on the weekends, asking for me to bake you some “dairy-free”
cookies (haha). At least I pray that is
the case. Not the dairy-free part, but
the coming home part once you graduate high school.
I love you, buddy.
And I pray you know the depth of God’s love for you. That you trust Him completely and follow
where He leads you.
Love, Mommy
PS) I will write a separate entry about your first birthday
party! Time permitting, that is…
| Birthday morning, you woke bright and early...so we opened up your gifts first thing. I think you liked them! |
| I took a pic holding you in the kitchen where I stood that time last year...funny thing I realized later? I was wearing the same shorts! |
![]() |
| photo credit to Kelly Gasper... birthday party cake! |
| Hilarious. |
![]() |
| Pretzel in hand, icing everywhere. |


No comments:
Post a Comment