Thursday, March 14, 2013

Cale: 6 Months

Yup.  Took me awhile to post this.  Just a little preoccupied with my two little cuties over here...  nonetheless... Cale turned 6 MONTHS old on February 22... and here's what I had to say about that...  and some pretty stinking cute photos....
Seriously, he is such a ham.  So wise beyond his years!  And such a sweetheart.

SIX MONTHS

February 22, 2013

Well my little man, you are six months old.  Half a year.  This month you have really budded into a little guy and not just a baby.  You have grown and developed so much this month, I often find myself holding you and staring down into your face as you sleep; realizing that every moment I have with you is so fleeting.  Before I know it you will not be waking up at night for cuddles or clamoring for my attention at all hours of the day.  Oh, my little man, I love you so.  I can’t hardly express how thankful I am for you and for the opportunity to be home with you every day!  Truly blessed, my little buddy.

On with the milestones, though!

I am not sure of your “stats” at the moment.  Mainly because your scheduled six month check-up had to be rescheduled due to a wave of snowstorms (yes, plural!  We have had two HUGE storms with accumulation of around 15-18 inches in less than a week!!), which caused most of the city to close down.  Minus Daddy’s work of course.  Black and Veatch is tough.  We should know your weight and height and all of that by next Monday, weather permitting (because more snow is in the forecast…).  If I had to guess, I would say you are around 22 pounds though.  And maybe 27 inches tall?  Taller?  I am a terrible judge at height.  But I could just measure you, couldn’t I?  Eh.  You are sleeping.  And you need your sleep right now, boy!  Because you are teething and congested.  Bad combo.

Teeth- yup.  You got your first tooth just after you hit six months, cutting through on the 25th.  Your bottom left middle tooth to be exact.  And your bottom right middle tooth is working on cutting its’ way through your gums… as well as your top two middle.  You poor little buddy, it’s quite painful and you express that thoroughly!  I have made sure to spend plenty of extra cuddle and play time with you.  And I nurse you a little more frequently than usual because it seems to be the only thing to comfort you at times.  I am sure one day when you read this, that might make you wrinkle your nose.  Sorry bud.  But it’s what you wanted at this age! 

I have been working hard to make all of your food.  We started you on butternut squash, then tried an assortment of other foods: sweet potato, broccoli, green beans, peas, potatoes, bananas, pears, apples and zucchini.  All pureed of course.  And mixed with Mama’s milk.  The first week and a half you LOVED it, then those teeth started bugging you and you backed off a bit.  Who can blame you though?  Mouth pain is not helped when trying to eat new things.  So we are working on it.  I will have you know that I sit with you for about 45 minutes 2-3 times a day trying to get you to eat 1-2 ice cube’s worth of puree.  It can be quite taxing!  But that’s okay.  That’s what I am here for!  To help you learn new things like eating.
Your sister also used to make a very similar expression at this age!  Aunty Pam did a side by side on "Instagram" that's pretty impressive!

This is the face you give me whenever I manage to sneak a bite of food in your mouth.  You are just not impressed with my scheming!!
Fortunately you are very forgiving.  You always brighten right back up.  Oh- by the way- that scratch on your forehead is just an example of how you beat yourself up.  You are such a tough guy!
Your favorite new thing from this month is “Mum-Mums.”  They are little rice rusks that dissolve in your mouth.  You love them!  But actually I think you might like drinking from your straw sippy cup even better.  It’s adorable to watch you get excited at the sight of your cup and grasp it with your little hands and chug away.  You probably drink about a cup of water from it each day.  Yup, water is our beverage of choice around here.  Though I am sure you would gladly accept milk if I offered it to you instead.  But, rest assured, my dear boy, you get PLENTY of milk every day.

Basically, Cale… you are awesome.  I’m smitten like a kitten as your Mama.  I am so incredibly thankful God chose me to fill this role in your life, my little man.   My prayer echoes on that you would follow Him where He guides you.  Because you know what?  As smitten as I am with you… God loves you so much more than I ever will and can.  His love for you is perfect and unconditional.  Follow Him, Cale.  I pray you follow Jesus.

I mean really.  Your expressions!

6 months going on 16 I think.  You look so mature here!

I'm pretty sure your sister will not be happy with me for sharing this in your 6 month update... but how could I resist?  It's just too cute!  She was trying to keep you happy, such a good big sissy, taking care of you!

Your hair's starting to fill in.  And check out those scratches on your head- yup, more of your "rough housing."



I could kiss your little noggin ALL DAY!
love baby hands- especially YOURS!

What is it about babies and paper?  You just want to eat it!



Always tell your sister she is beautiful- on the inside and out.  Because she is.  
 
And she loves you very, VERY much.



And P.S.)  We did make it to your 6 month check-up finally on March 4!  I was pretty spot on in my guess as to your weight and height.  You weighed in at 20 lbs 1 oz (85%), inched out at 27 ¼ inches (70%) and your head circumference was 17 ½ inches (55%).  That’s right, buddy.  I know my boy!  You were also prescribed a pretty thorough skin care routine.  So now, twice daily, you have a special ointment for your diaper region and under your chin, a separate ointment for your scalp and other red areas, lotion, regular diaper cream and cream for your cheeks.  Yeah, you are one high maintenance little guy!  I wonder what you will be like in years to come?  I cannot help but smile at the thought.  Oh you are a joy!  Skin care routine and all!  I LOVE YOU!!!!

No comments: