Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My little sis is fixin' to get hitched



So I have a little sister named Pam.  Pam has always been a spitfire.  She's the quirky, full of energy, spunky, fun one of our family.  (What does that say about me?  I suppose I'm the dull, serious, crafty, more mellow one of our family!)

Anyway, Pam is getting hitched...in two months.  Less than two months, really.  I know, some of you are saying- but YOU don't even look old enough to be married, let alone your baby sister!  Haha ;)  Yes, my friends, Pam is a young'n.  But a young'n in love and ready to say "I DO" to her man.  (That said, I am positive Pam and her man Andrew, would be blessed by your prayers as they prepare for their marriage beyond their wedding day.)

Being the big sis, I get the fun lead role of "Maid of Honor."  And with that title comes the responsibility of throwing and planning showers as well as other fun ways to celebrate and prepare "Pamdrew" for marriage.  This past Saturday I hosted Pam's "Personal Shower" at her cute townhouse.  I think it went over quite well...even with a couple hiccups with the preparation.  


 I ended up doing all of the baking.  Well, most of it, anyway.  See, my Mom is an amazing baker.  (If you live in our area and need a deliciously cute cake at an affordable price, just call my Mom!)  So, naturally, my Mom was planning to bake the cupcakes, an assortment of cookies and candies for the shower.  However; I received a phone call about 24 hours before the shower saying she wasn't feeling well.  And therefore she was unable to do the baking.

EEK!

Ben and I ended up stopping by my parent's house to pick up the baking supplies the evening before the shower...and we stayed up late having a bake fest at our house.  Ben actually baked the cupcakes-strawberry cookies'n'cream.  I know, impressive, right?  (I will admit, the lovely sugar cookies were not made by me either.  My sis ordered those last minute from her wedding cake peoples....I think she just wanted an excuse to eat more sugar!  hehe!)  And fortunately, my Mom made a decent recovery by the next day and somehow managed to make my sister's favorite Peanut Butter sandwich cookies...



I decorated the apartment with tissue paper pom-poms.  Love these!  They are super cheap and easy to make.  And I think they look so stinkin' cute!  (My friend, Kelly made these for my baby shower in South Africa and I loved them.)  I have another confession.  While these pom-poms are cheap and easy to make, it is important to slot more time than an hour to make 12 in.  I learned the hard way.  And unfortunately my sweet amazing husband suffered some of my stressed-out wrath.  (I have apologized!)


I spent the weeks leading up to Pam's shower making flower clips as party favors.  I hope to sell flower clips and headbands at some point, so I figured this was a great way to get my name and design "out there."  And? Everyone loved them!  Yay!


Yeah, I'm positive she just wanted more sugar...


Funny story about the photos.  I originally ordered the photo invitations (FREE!!) from a new photo website.  However,  2+ weeks went by and they never arrived, so I had to bite the bullet and pay for them at Costco.  About a week after I had mailed the invitations, a mysterious package ended up in my mailbox...containing the  long-lost photo invitations.  I wracked my crafty brain and thought up the above decoration.  Sadly, I didn't get to display it as I had planned (due to my overwhelming tissue paper pom-pom ordeal!)....but I still think they added a fun touch!


We played a couple games.  I mean, it was a shower after all!  I had the gal's create wedding dresses from toilet paper...and then Pam had to rank them first, second and third best.  I think all of the brides looked lovely.


We also played "Guess the Person who brought the panties" game.  I love this one!  Everyone brought a pair of panties for Pam that represented them in some way or fashion.  Then we had to take turns guessing who brought them.  Best part?  Pam ends up with a new wardrobe of panties to begin her marriage!

Finally, I pre-recorded a video of Andrew answering a series of questions.  Then, in order for Pam to unwrap her gifts, she had to answer the questions correctly.  If she got an answer wrong, she got a gag gift from me :) I'll have it be known she did unwrap all 5 gag gifts, but she really did very well on the quiz.  I'd say she and Andy-boy know each other better than I thought!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

so wish i was there for one of those cute flower favors :) great party. as always you are a wonderful hostess!