I had been anticipating my Mom and Sister’s visit ever since their plane tickets were booked….and maybe even before then. As the date drew more near, I began to really wonder if I would be there to greet their arrival at the airport…. Or if I would be in labor…. Or recovering from giving birth to our daughter. I really thought I would either be in labor or recovering. However, September 30, 2010 arrived and I found myself driving our rental car to pick Ben up from his office….and then riding to the airport… and then standing and watching the weary travelers enter the waiting area through the double doors. Not even a contraction!
We fortunately did not have to wait too long before I saw their familiar faces (although my Mom’s hair was chopped off- shortest I’ve ever seen it! But cute!) emerge from the pack. I quickly hid myself behind a pillar so I could surprise them with a photo. It didn’t take long for them to spy me, as I am sure they were looking anyway!
They told of their travels, an apparent success. They had managed to sneak in some cat napping, the food was tasty, the movies plentiful, all luggage in their possession and customs- not even an issue.
I fed them a healthy meal for their first South African dinner experience: bean salad wraps. (Yes, I mentioned also eating these on Tuesday….they are really very good!). I was slightly concerned my sister wouldn’t be a fan, as she has always been more of a “junk food” kind of eater. However, she has turned over a new leaf! A healthy leaf! And even Pam enjoyed our dinner….awwww, success.
October 1 dawned and our Little Lady appeared to still be camping out inside my belly…. So Ben went ahead to work and I rounded up our guests for a fun day out on the town. Well…just to Montecasino for lunch and some bird viewing. But fun nonetheless! Before we left our estate, I did have Pam test drive our car…just in case…As we entered Montecasino, the Security lady teased me for my “canteen” of ice cold water. She said that our Baby Girl will be shivering when she is born, hehehe! We shall see…
We started off in the candy store. But surprisingly, this pregnant gal didn’t get any candy! Just Mom and Pam- they had to sample some of the South African treats I suppose. And before we could continue on with our adventure, we of course had to sit down for a real meal at the scrumptious Mugg ‘n’ Bean! Awww, smoothies….sooooo good! We continued on…My Mom’s pant leg was attacked by a bird and Pam was quite amused by a man dressed as a ballerina- tutu and ballerina slippers to boot! After Montecasino we decided to rent a movie. I ended up buying a movie plan, figuring that the rest of my Mom and Pam’s stay would be spent in our house…so the least I could do was ensure they might have some form of entertainment. Much to my surprise, I was entered in a drawing for a very large stuffed Buzz Lightyear! The video guy suggested I give it to our daughter some day. I could tell her that Buzz flew behind the plane on our way back to America- all the way from South Africa! Ha!
Ben finally returned from work, ragged and worn down…and ready to do anything BUT work. We went to dinner. At a Japanese restaurant of all places…Pam was up for something different. She really has grown up, that sister of mine… Anyway…I’d say it was a good day.
Saturday landed us at the Lion Park here in Joburg. Aw, the lions, the cute, cuddly lions! But not just lions- giraffe! I thoroughly enjoyed watching my Mom and Pam feed the giraffe…at first their fear was quite evident, but they eventually let loose and let that giraffe eat his fill. We did not; however, feed the lions. That would not have been smart. Instead, we spent some time petting the cute little guys. So cute! Although I DID tell the baby lion to roar out our Little Lady… he just wasn’t in the mood to roar, I guess. And our Little Lady still wasn’t in the mood to come out.
On our way home, we stopped by the grocery store for a bit of stocking up. And on our way out, I managed to convince everyone to get an ice cream cone. Unfortunately the lady who “filled” my cone, didn’t do a good job. I ended up with just a dollop of soft serve on TOP of my cone. The actual cone was empty. So not fair. But I had to get past it…so I did. We concluded our day back at our place with a “Safrican” Braii, provided by my chef of a husband. And our Little Lady still remained quite cozy inside.
And then it was Sunday. My Big day. However, before we could drop me off at the hospital, we had some more South African exploring to do. And since Little Lady didn’t seem to be in the mood to make a move, we headed out for the day. First stop? Church. Second stop? Avis car rental (they gave us a rental car with expired registration…who does that?). Third stop? Rosebank African Craft market- the best! We dined on some pizza and schwarmas and my Mom and Pam shopped till they dropped. Okay, not really. They ended up getting some great deals and lots of great things for their friends and family as well as themselves. (Don’t worry, Dad, they didn’t spend a fortune. I kept an eye out for that!).
And so now, here we are…back at our South African abode. Waiting. Counting down the minutes until I go to the hospital to check in. Just over two hours now… It’s going to be tough to sleep, knowing that at 2am October 4 (7pm Kansas time on October 3) I will be induced. It’s nerve racking…indeed. I wish Ben could stay there with me, but the Doctor says the “action” won’t start until closer to 7am. Ben’s coming around 5am.
As for my Mom and Pam? The verdict is still out. I am sure my Mom would be there the entire time if she could. But Pam is more comfortable with waiting until after all is said and done. She might be a bit squeamish. So…as I always say…. We shall see…
No comments:
Post a Comment