I figured it would be fun to purchase some sort of decoration from the locals. After all, these items could be added to my tubs at home! There is a bead artist at the Bryanston market. He pays attention to detail and does an overall excellent job. After speaking with him for awhile (back in September), he informed us he had pictures of many more beaded creations which he could email to us. Amongst those pictures I spotted a Santa Claus and a Christmas tree!
As September drew to a close and October fell upon us, I decided I better place my order. (I was planning to decorate in late November, after all!) I emailed the bead artist and eagerly awaited his reply. Weeks passed and still not a word. I called him. He finally replied and said that he could have my beaded creations in a matter of days. Only issue? By this time, we were on our way to Victoria Falls and so I made a plan to meet him the following week. We went to the market and he wasn't there. Back to square one, I emailed and called. He informed me he had been ill and asked me to meet him at the market in two days. I did. The items still were not ready. I made a plan to return a week later. He was not there, but in his place, I met his brother. And saw the Santa. Not like the picture, I must say (I think his brother made it and not him). And still, the other items I had ordered were not ready! By this time we were in the final weekend of November and at my deadline for Christmas decorating. I told the brother I didn't think it was going to work, apologized and left. (I had not paid, fortunately!)
As Kelly and I drove back to my house, myself at a loss as to how I was going to decorate, and Kelly surprised at the ill-response of our favorite bead artist...we saw in the middle of the road on the median....a beaded Christmas tree. I figured we have been living in South Africa now for almost half a year....might as well try out a street vendor. And so, I pulled over and motioned to the guy selling the beaded Christmas tree and other creations (a meerkat caught Kelly's interest!). His work was impressive, but he said he was not satisfied and wanted to make the tree better for me (adding a star on top). We made a plan to return the following day to pick up my tree and Kelly's meerkat. I WAS SOOOOO EXCITED! But I kept myself in check, who knew if he would follow through after all?
We returned the next day and there he was with our requested items. My tree was beautiful. This artist, Simon, had done a beautiful job in a timely manner. We happily paid and he thanked us for our support and we were off. What a great experience! I can now say I have a genuine South African beaded Christmas tree from a street vendor. Awesome! AND! I was able to decorate. In addition to my beaded Christmas tree, I picked up some shiny metallic (cheap) garland, a string of Christmas lights and a Santa shopping bag. Of course I mustn't forget our handcrafted wooden nativity set from the market in Zimbabwe (made by a man named Patrick)! It is lovely and suits the CHRISTmas season perfectly. Also, this past weekend we made one more visit to yet another market....where I found little beaded ornaments for our beaded Christmas tree! Yay for Christmas!
What comes after Christmas decorations? Why baking of course! Kelly and I spent yesterday baking all kinds of goodies in my kitchen (sugar cookies, Oreo balls and peanut clusters). We made do without a rolling pin and used my Nalgene water bottle to flatten the dough. Kelly had some cookie cutters....and I had gathered the ingredients over the last few weeks. I assure you, if Ben were not working, he would have been there to help as well. And don't worry, I saved a large chunk of sugar cookie dough so he and I can have round two of the cookie baking and decorating this weekend! That said, I think I now understand why there is a shortage of baking ingredients here in South Africa. It's hot. And it's even hotter while baking in the middle of the day. But that's okay. We played Christmas music and made the best of the toasty conditions. I suppose one bonus to the heat is my reduced appetite...I am less likely to grab a morsel here and there.
Not to brag or anything, but I am quite pleased with the outcome of our baking day. We only had one real mishap. The food coloring bottles do not have a small opening. You get the picture? I reacted quickly, however, and managed to save the "green" frosting from becoming too blue! And hopefully, as I type this, many BVers and Eskomers are enjoying the fruits (or sugars) of our labor...
3 comments:
that tree is soo cute! and so our the cookies and everything else. YAY Christmas!
Thanks Kelley! I am excited! I love Christmas! And America! But most of all, I love JESUS!
Hey sunshine the cookies and the pics are beautiful!! I like how you said CHRISTmas!! I am glad you found a nice beaded guy to buy from the little tree is beautiful, do you remember my beaded tree I have that I made?? Love mom
Post a Comment