Friday, November 20, 2009

Lady Livingstone Sunset Cruise



It appears I was a bit excited to write about the devil's pool and our hike to Zimbabwe. Because I forgot to tell you about our first activity in the Victoria Falls area! Our first day there was devoted not only to our lodge, but also a sunset cruise on the Lady Livingstone.

As we boarded our boat, we were surprised by the number of people on board the large vessel. We basically had the entire triple decker boat to ourselves! As the boat took off up the river, we were impressed by the overwhelming number of hippos. They were basically like fish there were so many! You can imagine, Ben was quite excited. Our Guide was a wealth of information and gave us more interesting facts on hippos...including how to hunt them. He even told Ben that they are "quite tasty." Now Ben has it in his head that he has to eat hippo. I think this is TERRIBLE. You can't eat your favorite animal! That would be acting as a traitor, don't you agree? If you don't agree, maybe you are a canibal. :) I am working to convince Ben that it is not okay for him to eat hippo, his favorite animal ever. Why, you ask? Well, because hippos are vicious. Up to this point, they have not given us any trouble. But if Ben breaks his bond with hippos by eating one... I fear they might turn on us.



Anyway, we continued on our way in hopes of seeing more wildlife... but hippos appeared to be the only active ones in the canal. You would think with all of this hippo action I would have captured a picture of one yawning. No such luck. Oh we saw them, all right, but they were too far away to catch on camera. Dinner was light; basically an assortment of various finger foods. (No hippo!) I especially enjoyed the chocolate truffles for desert. Although I didn’t eat one flavor as it looked like a ball of dung (you will see this ball of dung in my next blog and you will understand what I mean). Definitely not savory!

Finally the moment we had been waiting for arrived: sunset. The colors were brilliant- even with the clouds! I loved the way the sun glimmered across the water, lighting up the dips in the current…shadowing the trees. So lovely. Morning light and evening light are simply the best for photography, I must say. The colors you can get at these times are more amplified and crisp…making for better photography. And my camera went crazy! It would have gone even more crazy if we hadn’t turned around so quickly…ending our ride before the sun had completely set. Why do they have to be so early in Zambia? I have just grown used to the South African style of tardiness…


No comments: